Wednesday 22 July 2009

Sick

Yeah, we've been sick. Erik got his first real cold, which has knocked us around a bit, and now he's given it to me, lovely boy that he is. However, it doesn't seem to have slowed him down much, his walking is still progressing, and he has more teeth than ever. The lower lateral incisors have finally come in, and I think he's working on some molars. Here's a bit more example walking and cat molesting, sorry it's a bit long.



The turkeys at the US consulate have now redeemed themselves. Erik's Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate arrived yesterday, and it's all correct.

School holidays finished with a whimper for us, as D'Arcy spent the second week with his dad, though the beloved and Joyce took him to see Ice Age III which I think they all enjoyed. I've been trying to figure out how to get some baby free time, both in general, as it's been a bit full-on while he's been sick, and specifically to see Harry Potter. I'm hoping it'll work out, as I haven't been to the movies for over a year, though I"m not sure if I'll have the concentration span to sit still for 2+ hours. I haven't had to do that for a long time!

I talked to D's teachers (they're job sharing) yesterday in a parent/teacher interview. They're pretty pleased with how he's going, but still needs more support for his fine motor skills. Being left-handed, his handwriting is appalling, but they think with some help it will improve, so they gave us a phone number for the government funded occupational therapists. He's reading really well for his age now, which is a big change from two years ago, and he's now reading more than just Captain Underpants. He read all the Andy Griffiths Bum series almost without pause, and he's started to pick up other books that I've been trying to encourage him to read for ages. A good thing. He also wants to see Harry Potter but I don't think he's really ready for it. I'll have to think about it. He claims he's been reading it at his dad's, but reading it is very different from watching it I reckon.

Yikes, I'd better see what Erik is up to, he's wrecking something in the lounge room!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this Erik and the Cat video. It makes me think how much I'd love to hang with E & D. Sam and Leo would love to bring D on one of their annual overnights at the MOA Water Park...bunks beds, junky food, endless video games and water rides all in one hotel. I could take over E, and you two could take over our house indulging in our huge organic garden, modest wine cellar, classic video and music collection and best of all Peace and Quiet with the Beloved.

Mummy/Crit said...

Anne, that all sounds too good to be true!