Sunday 7 September 2008

A Photo a Day While Daddy's Away 7


IMGP1009
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken
Here is a boy sitting on the sofa almost smiling at his grandmother. He's wearing a lovely suit that a friend of my mum's gave him which says "le girafotte" on it, despite the fact that she bought it in Italy. Even though it's in girly colours it doesn't seem to make him look very girly, or perhaps it's just because he's my boy. You can see (almost) that he scratched the left side of his head with his extraordinarily long finger nails while he was having a big scream today.

2 comments:

Eric TF Bat said...

You're right, he's definitely a boy, isn't he? He has a boy's face. I think the Boy Wonder is the same, although since she cut her hair for the second time the BatPup keeps getting called a lovely little boy, so she doesn't have the equivalent "girl's face" I guess. Or she does, but the hair confuses people.

My Beloved is most impressed that you named your son after me, by the way. Just thought I'd mention that...

Mummy/Crit said...

It is interesting about faces. D'Arcy had a much more girly face, and when he had long hair (until he was 2) people kept thinking he was a girl. I think people use hair as a cue as much as clothing colour. When I had short hair as a small child I was always being called a boy too. I hated it. Even occasionally as an adult when my hair was very short I'd get called 'sir' and then they'd do a fabulous double take when they realised.

I've always thought that BatPup looks a lot like you, which may account for her 'boy'ness in small person-hood, but I'm sure it won't last.

I was surprised to meet another baby Eric when we were at QEII who was 4 weeks older than ours, and there was another one in the paper this week. Not a terribly common name for small people, but my maternal grandfather was an Eric, and my beloved's paternal great-grandfather was an Erik (and his mother's family claims to be able to trace their lineage back to Eirikur Blood-Axe), and given his Viking surname, we went with the Viking spelling. All in all it's a fine name, and it suits you both well.