Saturday 19 May 2007

New Skills


shoelaces
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken.
It's a bit hard to see in the photo (despite the fact that I got him to hike his trousers up) but these shoelaces were tied by the boy himself. We've existed on elastic sided boots until this year, when I bought him his first pair of 'school shoes'. He's been wearing them, grudgingly, for a few weeks, and refusing to try to tie the laces himself, but insisting that I do them, or appealing to his teacher when they come undone at school. Until friday. I sat down with him. and went through the process again, and this time he got it! Then last night he said to me "thanks for teaching me to tie my laces, mum"

3 comments:

Jay said...

That's excellent!
It's funny how we take our bow-tying for granted, but at one point it was completely beyond us!

Mummy/Crit said...

Yeah, it's amazing how it changes from being soggy spaghetti to great fine motor skills...

Anonymous said...

Wow, and polite, too! :)

My son only learned to tie his shoes after his feet got big enough that it was hard to find velcro shoes in his size. I think he was 9 or 10.

I'm so glad to catch up on your blog, by the way. I can't believe how big D'Arcy's getting -- love that gap-toothed smile! :)