Thursday 13 March 2008

OMG!!!





The Beloved brought back some of the dreaded Captain Underpants books from the US. Now, I don't usually approve of these, but by God, the boy can read them! And he does. This afternoon and evening he's read about 60 pages BY HIMSELF!!! (well, with supervision and help on a few tricky words) but he's powered through it. And as soon as he'd finished he got out the second book to look at....All of this from a child who's struggled to stay engaged with an 8 page reader. I know, it's peer pressure, and non-literary, but I am strangely excited by the development.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I had the exact same reaction when my son latched on to Captain U when he was learning to read. Joy and dismay in equal proportions...

Ampersand Duck said...

It's getting him reading, which is ACE. Bumblebee is reading Bionicle books right now, which fill me with despair until I consider the fact that not only is he keen, but they don't have any pictures. Next stop, literature!