Wednesday 8 August 2007

Jellyblogging


yum!
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken
On Sunday, as promised, we made jelly. We started in the morning with the blue, ate some for afternoon tea, and then added tha pink and ate more for dessert. When Flickr gets its shit together there will be a reasonably comprehensive photo essay up there. At the moment it's only loaded 40% of the set, weird. And that was after 3 tries.

D'Arcy is at his dad's house tonight, so I am doing housework, blogging, about to watch Spicks and Specks and also preparint tohave a shower to alleviate some of the pain the osteopath gave me today.

I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today on a child-free whim. It was pretty good, but they messed with the storyline a bit much for my liking.

In other news, I found my first grey hair the other day. Yikes!

8 comments:

Lever said...

I must be the only HP fan who's not caught that movie yet... :( Not to say that I'd remember exactly what the storyline of the book was. :)

And I'm glad you guys call it jelly too. Having being invaded by the Americans they call Jam Jelly which is really confusing 'cos jelly goes with ice cream and I wouldn't put ice cream on my toast.

As for grey hairs... I hate to say I will never get them... I have white hairs coming through!

Mummy/Crit said...

*grin* Of course it's jelly! And it was great, very wobbly. HP was good, I may have mis-remembered some bits, but others just made me go "No! That's not right!"

Liz Miller said...

I love grey hair!!!

Mummy/Crit said...

Thank you Liz! I hope I will learn to love it too, it's a bit of a shock though.

Ampersand Duck said...

One year we all had sore throats so I made a mass of jelly. After eating a lot of it we all swore we could taste the horse's hooves and it's been hard to get enthusiastic about it again!

I need to learn how to make it from agar agar or other sources of glug.

Mummy/Crit said...

Yeah, you don't want to think too hard about it. On a related note, i steamed a small snapper for dinner last night and didn't eat it all. When i got up this morning the left overs had solidified into this lovely gelatinous mass "ooh yum, fish jelly! Won't D be happy" but of course he won't eat fish, so fish jelly would be some kind of terrible nightmare for him. So I didn't tell him. Tasted good, but.

Anonymous said...

In my American opinion, jam and jelly aren't quite synonyms, but they're pretty close. What you made looks like what I'd call Jello, though I can't imagine putting it on ice cream.

Congrats on your grey hair, though. I'm very proud of mine! :)

Mummy/Crit said...

Julie, in our lexicon jam and jelly are two different spreads also, but when people say 'jelly' they usually mean what you call 'jello'. Jelly(jello) & Icecream are a common dessert option. (Spread) jelly is when you make a jam, but strain the solid fruit out of it, so you might make it out of quinces, or currants....