Sunday 29 April 2007

Jumping


Jumping
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken.
I've been looking through a disk of old photos (before separation) and found this one of a two-year old D'Arcy jumping on the bed. He had just had his first haircut not long before. I've been really enjoying looking at the photos, seeing how much he's changed in the 4 years since I got a digital camera. I look at some and think "wow, he still does that facial expression" so it has been educational. I haven't looked at these photos for about 3 years, so he has changed a lot, but has also stayed the same. He's always been cheeky and funny, but with a seriousness that the beloved picked up in some I showed him. He gets very worried about about death and dying, and things scare him unexpectedly. One of his famous utterances at the moment to the beloved is "can we talk about space?" and then they do. Sometimes D'Arcy will say "OK, stop now, I"m getting scared" when the talk turns to black holes, or the sun exploding in millions of years. I remember being scared by those things too. The hugeness of space, and the enormity of the numbers used were daunting to me. They still are. If I want to freak myself out I think of that kind of existential stuff...

No comments: